Rules To Change Active Voice Into Passive Voice With Examples
Are you looking for Rules of Active-passive voice with examples in all tenses, Here you will get all information about changing of Active voice into Passive Voice.
Basics Rules To Change Active Voice Into Passive Voice
- In this article you will understand the basics rules of Active voice & passive voice and I am sure after reading this you will definitely love this article.
What is voice?
"Voice is the term used to describe whether a verb is active or passive. In other words, when the subject of the verb is doing the action of the verb (e.g "The police is reporting on his duty.") the verb is said to be in the active voice so, the voice of a verb tells us whether the subject is acting or being acted upon.
In English there are two types of Voice.
1. Active Voice
2. Passive Voice
1. Active Voice: In any sentences when Subject work as an Doer then sentence will be in Active voice. In these type of sentence Subject always be in action.
"A sentence is in the active voice when the subject does action"
She is writing a story.
- In this sentence subject is (she), Writing is (Verb) and Story is (object)
- Here subject works as a doer thats why this is an active voice sentence.
2. Passive Voice: In passive voice when Subject is not work as doer. The passive voice is used to show interest in the person or object that experiences an action rather than the person. In simply object works as subject.
A letter is written by him.
- In this sentence subject (letter) in not working but work has been completed by him which works as agent.
When we should use active verb?
When subject works as doer then sentence should be in active voice. Commonly we use sentences in active voice.
Ex- He has gone from here.
When we should use Passive verb?
- When we say something other person in our language.
- When it is obvious to the listener or reader who the agent is:
- When a work has been completed by other person but we don't know about him then we use Passive Voice
Example: A postman was instructed, A lots of money stolen by thief, Mr. Mahatma Gandhi has said that everyone should be polite.
How to change Active voice into passive voice?
- Find Subject, Object and Verb in a Sentence.
- Find the Tense of the sentence.
A.V — S + V + O
P.V — O + V + S
Rules to change active voice into passive voice with Examples:
1. Use Object as a subject of the sentence.
A.V- He eats panipuri
P.V- Panipuri is eaten by him.
2. Subject works as agent and before that we use By to change active voice into passive voice.
Note: In most of the cases it is not always use by to change into passive voice.
Police arrested thief.
Theif was arrested.
In these type of sentences it is not necessary to use By just because of It is their official work.
3. In Active sentences If object is in the form of Objective case then by changing into passive voice Objective case changed into Nominative case. And Subject of active voice changed into Objective case.
For example :
I beat him. — A.V
He is beaten by me. — P.V
4. Subject Someone, somebody, nobody, people or any uncertain noun/pronoun cannot use in passive voice so discard these words when you change into passive.
A.V- Someone has broken my heart.
P.V- My heart has been broken.
5. Helping verbs of the sentence should be changed by Subject of the sentence, and the main verb always changed into V3 form(Past participle).
1. I like him.
He is liked by me.
2. He played Football.
Football was payed by him.
3. I love to eat mango.
Mango is loved by me.
4. He has completed his work
Work has been completed by him.
6. Only Transitive verb can be changed into passive voice, not intransivive.
"It is intransitive, it does not include object that's why it cannot be changed into passive voice."
How to change into passive voice with to objects?
In active voice if there is two object then change one object as passive voice use as a subject and retained second object of active voice as a object as passive voice.
She gave me a pen. (Active)
(i) I was given a pen by her. Or
7. It is useless to change into passive voice of these sentences
- Present perfect continuous tense.
- Past perfect continuous tense.
- Future perfect continuous tense.
- Future continuous tense.
If you have any quarry about all these things then comment below we will help you soon. Share this to help others. Thanku